Thanksgiving is a time for family and friends to gather and enjoy a delicious meal together. One of the highlights of the meal is undoubtedly the dessert, and each year there are new and exciting trends to look out for. In 2023, there are several desserts that are expected to be particularly popular.
One trend that is expected to continue in 2023 is the use of non-traditional ingredients in Thanksgiving desserts. This could include unique flavor combinations or the use of unexpected ingredients like matcha or lavender. Another trend to watch out for is the use of alternative sweeteners such as honey or maple syrup, which can add a unique twist to classic desserts like pumpkin pie.
Another trend that is expected to be popular in 2023 is the use of individual desserts. This could include mini pies, tarts, or even single-serving cakes. These desserts are not only visually appealing but also allow guests to try a variety of different flavors without committing to a full slice of pie. Overall, there are many exciting dessert trends to look forward to this Thanksgiving, and guests are sure to be delighted by the delicious and innovative desserts on offer.
Classic Thanksgiving Desserts
No Thanksgiving dinner is complete without a classic dessert. And when it comes to classic Thanksgiving desserts, pies are the ultimate crowd-pleaser. The most popular pies for Thanksgiving are pumpkin, apple, and pecan. Let’s take a closer look at each of these classic pies.
Pumpkin pie is the quintessential Thanksgiving dessert. It’s a custard pie that is spiced with cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and cloves. The filling is made from pumpkin puree, evaporated milk, eggs, and sugar. It’s usually served with whipped cream on top.
Apple pie is another classic Thanksgiving dessert. It’s made with a flaky crust and a filling of sliced apples, sugar, cinnamon, and butter. Some people like to add other spices like nutmeg or allspice. Apple pie can be served warm or cold, with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream.
Pecan pie is a Southern favorite that has become a Thanksgiving tradition. It’s made with a filling of pecans, corn syrup, eggs, sugar, and butter. Some recipes call for bourbon or vanilla extract to add flavor. Pecan pie is rich and sweet, and it’s usually served with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
Other classic Thanksgiving desserts include custard pie, banana cream pie, and buttermilk pie. For a twist on the traditional pies, try an apple-pumpkin-pecan pie or a French apple tart. And if you’re looking for something easy and delicious, make an apple and pear crisp. No matter what dessert you choose, it’s sure to be a hit at your Thanksgiving dinner.
Easy and Quick Desserts
Thanksgiving is a time for feasting and indulging in delicious food. However, with so much to prepare, it can be challenging to find the time to whip up a fancy dessert. Luckily, there are plenty of easy and quick Thanksgiving dessert recipes that are sure to satisfy your sweet tooth without taking up too much of your time.
One classic dessert that is always a hit is pumpkin pie. For an easy twist on this traditional dessert, try making a no-bake freezer pumpkin pie. This recipe uses gingersnaps and pecans for the crust and a pumpkin and ice cream filling. It’s a cool and refreshing dessert that can be made ahead of time and stored in the freezer until ready to serve.
If you’re looking for something a little different, consider making an easy apple cake or an apple crisp. These desserts are perfect for fall and can be made with just a few simple ingredients. For the apple cake, all you need is some sliced apples, flour, sugar, eggs, and cinnamon. The apple crisp is even easier and can be made with just apples, oats, brown sugar, and butter.
For those who want to get a little fancy, try making a cranberry cake with hard sauce. This dessert is perfect for Thanksgiving and can be made ahead of time and stored in the fridge until ready to serve. The cake itself is easy to make and only requires a few ingredients, including fresh cranberries, flour, sugar, and eggs. The hard sauce is a simple mixture of butter, sugar, and brandy that adds a decadent touch to this already delicious dessert.
Overall, there are plenty of easy and quick Thanksgiving dessert recipes that are sure to impress your guests without taking up too much of your time. Whether you’re in the mood for pumpkin pie, apple cake, or cranberry cake, there’s a dessert out there that’s perfect for you.
Cakes and Cupcakes
Thanksgiving is all about indulging in delicious desserts, and what better way to do that than with cakes and cupcakes? From classic flavors to unique twists, there are plenty of options to choose from.
For those who love chocolate, a rich and decadent chocolate cake is always a crowd-pleaser. If pumpkin spice is more your style, try a pumpkin spice cake or a pumpkin bundt cake. And for those who prefer fruity flavors, a caramel apple cake or an easy carrot cake with cream cheese icing are both great options.
Cupcakes are also a fun and easy way to add some festive flair to your dessert spread. Turkey cupcakes are a cute and creative way to incorporate the Thanksgiving theme, while apple pie cupcakes and pecan pie cupcakes offer a fun twist on classic pies.
No matter what your preference, cakes and cupcakes are a delicious and easy way to satisfy your sweet tooth on Thanksgiving.
Pies and Tarts
Thanksgiving is incomplete without a delicious pie or tart. From classic apple pie to unique cranberry and pear pies, there are plenty of options to choose from. Pecan pie, sweet potato pie, and mini pies are also popular choices.
For those who love traditional pies, apple pie is a must-have on the Thanksgiving dessert table. It’s a crowd-pleaser and can be served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Pecan pie is another classic dessert that’s rich and indulgent. It’s made with a filling of pecans, corn syrup, and eggs, and has a buttery crust.
For a unique twist, cranberry and pear pies are perfect. The tartness of cranberries pairs well with the sweetness of the pie filling. Pear pies are also a great option for those who want a lighter dessert. They’re made with fresh pears, cinnamon, and brown sugar, and have a flaky crust.
Mini pies are a great option for those who want to try different flavors. Mini pecan pies, mini pumpkin pies, and mini apple pies are all popular choices. They’re bite-sized and perfect for sharing. Fried apple hand pies are another fun option that’s easy to make and delicious.
No matter which pie or tart you choose, it’s sure to be a hit on Thanksgiving.
Cheesecakes and Cookies
Thanksgiving is a time of year when everyone looks forward to indulging in some delicious desserts, and what better way to do that than with cheesecakes and cookies? These classic desserts are always a hit, and there are plenty of creative twists on them that will take your taste buds on a journey.
For those who love cheesecake, there are many options to choose from. Pumpkin cheesecake is a popular choice for Thanksgiving, and it’s easy to see why. The creamy, spiced dessert is perfect for the fall season, and it’s a great way to add some variety to your dessert table. Pecan pie cheesecake is another option that’s sure to please. This dessert combines the rich, nutty flavor of pecan pie with the smooth, creamy texture of cheesecake, and it’s a match made in heaven.
No-bake pumpkin cheesecake is a great option for those who want to save time in the kitchen. This dessert is quick and easy to make, and it’s perfect for those who don’t want to spend hours baking. Southern pecan praline cheesecake is another option that’s sure to impress. This dessert combines the classic flavors of Southern pecan pralines with creamy cheesecake, and it’s a delicious twist on a classic dessert.
For those who prefer cookies, there are plenty of options to choose from as well. Apple pie cheesecake with caramel topping is a delicious option that combines the flavors of apple pie with creamy cheesecake and rich caramel sauce. Thanksgiving cheesecakes are another option that’s sure to please. These cookies are made with pumpkin, cinnamon, and other fall spices, and they’re a great way to add some variety to your dessert table.
No matter which option you choose, cheesecakes and cookies are a great way to add some variety to your Thanksgiving dessert table. With so many creative twists on these classic desserts, there’s sure to be something for everyone to enjoy.
Vegan and Gluten-Free Desserts
For those who follow a vegan and gluten-free diet, Thanksgiving desserts can be a bit of a challenge. However, there are plenty of delicious options available that cater to these dietary restrictions.
One popular dessert choice is vegan pumpkin pie. Made with a crust of gluten-free flour and coconut oil, and a filling of pumpkin puree, coconut milk, and spices, this pie is a crowd-pleaser that everyone can enjoy. Other vegan and gluten-free pie options include apple, cherry, and pecan.
For those who prefer something other than pie, there are plenty of other dessert options available. Gluten-free cranberry crumb bars are a tasty and festive choice, made with leftover cranberry sauce, gluten-free flour, and coconut oil. Vegan and gluten-free fudge brownies are another delicious option, made with almond flour and coconut sugar.
For a refreshing and light dessert, vegan and gluten-free fruit salad is a great choice. Made with a variety of fresh fruits and a drizzle of maple syrup, this dessert is easy to make and sure to please.
No matter what your dietary restrictions may be, there are plenty of delicious and festive dessert options available for Thanksgiving.
Unique and Creative Desserts
For those looking to spice up their Thanksgiving dessert table, there are plenty of unique and creative options to choose from. Here are a few ideas to consider:
- Pumpkin Roll: This classic dessert combines a spiced pumpkin cake with a sweet cream cheese filling, all rolled up into a festive spiral. It’s a great alternative to traditional pumpkin pie and can be decorated with powdered sugar or whipped cream for an extra touch of holiday cheer.
- Thanksgiving Pie Bars: These dessert bars are a fun twist on traditional pies. They typically feature a buttery crust topped with a layer of sweet filling, such as pecan or sweet potato. They’re easy to make and perfect for serving a crowd.
- Pumpkin Cheesecake Dessert: This rich and creamy dessert combines the flavors of pumpkin pie and cheesecake into one delicious treat. It’s typically made with a gingersnap crust and topped with whipped cream and caramel sauce.
- Gooey Butter Cake: This St. Louis classic is a rich and buttery cake that’s perfect for the holidays. It’s typically made with a yellow cake mix and a cream cheese filling, and can be flavored with everything from pumpkin to chocolate.
- Pumpkin Ice Cream: For those looking for a refreshing dessert option, pumpkin ice cream is a great choice. It’s typically made with a spiced pumpkin base and can be served on its own or used to top pies and other desserts.
- Caramel Apple Pie: This twist on classic apple pie features a sweet and gooey caramel sauce that’s drizzled over the top of the pie. It’s a great way to add a little extra sweetness to your holiday dessert table.
- Apple Dapple Cake with Caramel Glaze: This moist and flavorful cake is typically made with fresh apples and a blend of warm spices. It’s topped with a rich caramel glaze that adds an extra layer of sweetness.
- Hot Toddy Apple Pie: This boozy dessert features a classic apple pie filling that’s spiked with a little bit of whiskey. It’s a great way to warm up on a chilly fall evening.
- Pecan Pie Brownies: These decadent brownies feature a layer of rich chocolate brownie topped with a sweet and nutty pecan pie filling. They’re a great way to combine two classic desserts into one delicious treat.
- Pumpkin Pie Cupcakes: These individual-sized desserts combine the flavors of pumpkin pie with the convenience of a cupcake. They’re typically topped with a dollop of whipped cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
- Turkey Tail Cupcakes: These cute and festive cupcakes are decorated to look like turkey tails. They’re typically made with a chocolate cupcake base and decorated with colorful frosting and candy.
- Truffle Turkeys: These adorable truffle turkeys are a fun and festive addition to any Thanksgiving dessert table. They’re typically made with a chocolate truffle base and decorated with candy corn feathers and a chocolate-covered pretzel stick for the turkey’s body.
- Pumpkin Icebox Cake: This no-bake dessert features layers of spiced pumpkin cream and gingersnap cookies. It’s a great way to enjoy the flavors of pumpkin pie without having to turn on the oven.
Healthy Dessert Alternatives
For those looking for healthier alternatives to traditional Thanksgiving desserts, there are plenty of options available. From paleo to nut-free, sugar-free to fruit-based, there are desserts that cater to a variety of dietary needs.
One popular choice is a paleo pumpkin pie made with almond flour crust and sweetened with maple syrup or honey instead of refined sugar. It’s a great option for those following a paleo diet or looking to avoid grains.
For those with nut allergies, a fruit-based dessert like a mixed berry crumble or apple crisp can be a tasty and safe option. These desserts are typically sweetened with natural sweeteners like honey or maple syrup instead of refined sugar.
Sugar-free desserts are also a great option for those looking to cut back on their sugar intake. A sugar-free pumpkin cheesecake made with stevia or monk fruit sweetener can be a delicious and guilt-free dessert option.
Finally, for those looking for a lighter option, fruit-based desserts like a fruit salad or baked apples can be a refreshing and healthy way to end a meal. These desserts are typically low in calories and packed with vitamins and nutrients.
Overall, there are plenty of healthy dessert alternatives available for those looking for a lighter, more nutritious way to enjoy Thanksgiving dessert.
Southern Thanksgiving Desserts
When it comes to Thanksgiving desserts, the South has some of the best and most delicious options. Sweet potatoes are a staple in Southern cuisine, and sweet potato pie is a must-have dessert for any Thanksgiving feast in the region.
Buttermilk pound cake is another classic Southern dessert that is perfect for the holiday. The tangy buttermilk adds a unique flavor to the cake, and it can be served with whipped cream or a fruit compote for a sweet finish to the meal.
For those who prefer something fruity, apple delight is a Southern dessert that is sure to please. It combines apples, pecans, and a crumbly topping for a dessert that is both sweet and crunchy.
No Southern Thanksgiving dessert table would be complete without a sweet potato pie. It is a simple yet delicious dessert that is made with a combination of sweet potatoes, sugar, and spices, baked in a flaky crust.
Whether you are a fan of sweet potato pie or prefer something fruity, Southern Thanksgiving desserts are sure to satisfy your sweet tooth.
Desserts with a Twist
Thanksgiving is a time to indulge in delicious desserts and enjoy time with loved ones. For those looking to add a twist to their traditional desserts, there are plenty of options to choose from. Here are a few dessert ideas that will be sure to impress:
- Pumpkin Mousse: This light and fluffy dessert is a perfect alternative to the traditional pumpkin pie. It is made with pumpkin puree, cream cheese, heavy cream, and spices, and is topped with a dollop of whipped cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
- Spice Cake Mix Bread Pudding: Bread pudding is a classic dessert that is perfect for Thanksgiving. This recipe adds a twist by using spice cake mix instead of traditional bread. It is rich and flavorful, with a warm and comforting texture.
- Apple Pie Cheesecake with Caramel Topping: This dessert combines two classic desserts into one delicious treat. The cheesecake layer is creamy and tangy, while the apple pie layer is sweet and spicy. The caramel topping adds a rich and decadent touch.
- Turkey Cupcakes: These cute and festive cupcakes are perfect for kids and adults alike. They are made with chocolate cupcakes, chocolate frosting, and candy corn for the turkey feathers. They are a fun and easy way to add some Thanksgiving spirit to your dessert table.
- Pecan Pie Brownies: Pecan pie and brownies are two desserts that are hard to resist. This recipe combines them into one delicious treat. The brownie layer is rich and fudgy, while the pecan pie layer is sweet and nutty. It is a perfect dessert for those who can’t decide between the two.
- Pumpkin Pie Cupcakes: These cupcakes are a fun and easy way to enjoy the flavors of pumpkin pie in a portable form. They are made with a spiced pumpkin cupcake base and topped with a dollop of whipped cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon. They are perfect for those who want a smaller portion of dessert after a big Thanksgiving meal.
These desserts with a twist are sure to impress your loved ones and add some fun to your Thanksgiving dessert table.
Judy Temkin: The Trendsetting Force Behind TrendingDirt.com
Judy Temkin, the visionary creator of TrendingDirt.com, has a lifelong passion for identifying and understanding the ebbs and flows of lifestyle trends. Born in an era of magazine-influenced styles, Judy's curiosity always centered around understanding the forces that bring certain trends to the forefront.
Her unique approach isn't rooted in formal journalistic training; it's a blend of innate curiosity and a talent for spotting societal shifts. Judy's mission was clear: create a platform that anticipated, rather than just reported on, the next big thing. This led to the birth of TrendingDirt.com, a digital hub that doesn't just cover trends but often sets them.
TrendingDirt isn't just another blog. It’s a testament to Judy's dedication to delve deeper into the mechanics of trends, understanding their origins, and predicting their trajectories. Judy ensures her platform remains lively, informative, and always one step ahead in the fast-paced world of trending lifestyle news and tips.
In essence, Judy Temkin isn't just a spectator of today's lifestyle; she's a key player. With every article on TrendingDirt.com, she guarantees her readers a firsthand look into the ever-evolving world of trends.
Stay updated, stay trendy with Judy and TrendingDirt.com.